Thinking about buying a comfortable seating solution for the elderly but can't decide between armchairs or side chairs? If this defines you, then you are not alone! When it comes to elderly care, we can't deny the importance of choosing the right seating solution! After all, the right type of chair can allow the elderly to achieve optimal relaxation while also addressing any specific health needs. That's why today, we will explore the armchairs and side chairs to figure out which is the ideal choice for seniors in terms of comfort and the unique requirements of the elderly.
One of the distinctive qualities of armchairs is their supportive armrests, which are present on both sides. These chairs are ideal for relaxing or reading the morning paper while sipping tea/coffee. Additionally, armchairs for elderly are also often found in dining rooms as they prioritize comfort and support through the armrests.
Pros of Armchairs
· Ergonomic Support - From supportive armrests to a more comfortable design, armchairs offer much-needed comfort to seniors even if they sit for extended periods.
· Armrests - The built-in armrests offer support to the arms, which is very helpful in avoiding muscle pain. At the same time, armrests also assist seniors in sitting down and standing up.
· Versatile - Armchairs can be found in different colors, styles, and designs. So, regardless of the room designs and aesthetic preferences, armchairs can be added to any setting.
· Stability - The overall design of armchairs is sturdier than other types of chairs, which improves stability. As a result, armchairs can significantly reduce the risk of accidental falls for seniors.
· Health Benefits - Did you know that armchairs can also address specific health needs? For example, the armrests act as a resting place for the arms, which can be really helpful in different activities such as reading newspapers, enjoying dinner, and so on.
Cons of Armchairs
· Space Requirements - Armchairs tend to take up more space due to their size.
· Cost - Since an armchair also features armrests, this means they are relatively expensive.
· Weight - The weight of armchairs is a little higher when compared to side chairs. This can make it a little challenging to move the chairs around. However, this drawback can be avoided by choosing lightweight armchairs.
Side chairs are also an ideal choice for seniors due to their simplicity and versatility. A side chair usually features a straight back with an armless design. This streamlined structure makes the side chairs a great option for lounge, dining rooms, and other areas of the senior living centers.
Pros of Side Chairs
· Space Efficiency - Side chairs come with a compact design, which makes them ideal for smaller rooms.
· Versatile - These chairs are suitable for a lot of different settings, such as dining rooms, lounges, bedrooms, etc.
· Cost Effective - The price of side chairs is usually lower than armchairs. So when the cost is a concern, it is best to go with side chairs.
· Lightweight - Another benefit of choosing side chairs is that they tend to be lightweight. This also makes it easy to move these chairs around.
· Ease of Movement - An armless design allows seniors to sit more freely. So, if you want unrestricted mobility, go with side chairs.
Cons of Side Chairs
· No Armrests - Seniors with mobility issues may find it difficult to use a side chair as it comes with no armrests. In addition, no armrests can also lead to muscle pain and discomfort in the arms.
· Less Formal - Compared to armchairs, it becomes clear that side chairs are less formal. This makes them not a great choice for formal spaces.
Armchairs vs. Side Chairs: Which is Ideal for seniors?
Now that we understand the difference between armchairs and side chairs, let's look at which one is ideal for seniors:
If we look at the armchair for elderly, their biggest benefit is the presence of armrests and an ergonomic design. This provides support to the seniors and also aids in sitting down / standing up. So, for seniors who face mobility challenges, arm pain, or joint stiffness, armchairs are the ideal choice. Additionally, the armchairs are also known for their ergonomic design, which offers enhanced lumbar support. As a result, elderly with back pain or arthritis can also benefit from the comfort and stability of the armchairs.
Next up are side chairs, which are more versatile and lightweight than the armchairs. This makes them ideal for creating accessible seating arrangements in smaller spaces. As a result, a more open and inviting environment can be created in the senior living communities. Another reason to choose side chairs is that an armless design means the elderly can sit in the chairs with more freedom and space. With no armrests, there's free space on either side of the chair, which means seniors can even sit on the chair from the side.
In summary, the choice between armchairs and side chairs depends on the individual needs of the elderly. If you want a more comfortable and ergonomic design, go with side chairs. And if you want a versatile seating solution that is also lightweight, go with side chairs. A far better option is to equip the senior living center with both types of chairs. This will enable the seniors to sit on armchairs or side chairs based on their personal preferences!
Where to Buy Armchairs and Side Chairs for seniors?
At Yumeya furniture, we understand there's no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to senior living communities. That's why we offer a comprehensive collection of armchairs and side chairs, which are specifically made for seniors! So whether you need a comfortable and cozy armchair or you need a versatile side chair, Yumeya offers both of them in numerous designs and color schemes.
In fact, Yumeya can even customize the chairs based on your design and aesthetic requirements! So, if you want an armchair/side chair with a specific color or upholstery fabric, you can count on Yumeya. Just like that, Yumeya can also customize the chair design to meet the needs of your senior living community.
And if you need expert advice on which chair type (armchair or side chair) is ideal for your assisted living community, contact one of our experts today!
GET IN TOUCH
If you have any questions about our products or services, feel free to reach out to customer service team. Provide unique experiences for everyone involved with a brand.